Sunday, February 8, 2015

Mama's stressed when kids aren't feeling well!

    Wow,  sometimes being a mom of many is so stressful!  I'm not talking about the everyday things like making bigger meals, more dishes, more laundry,  or just the plain logistics of a larger than normal family.  I'm talking about the worry, the fear, the anxiety in your gut when one of your children is not feeling well/sick or having a problem, etc. multiply that feeling by how many children you have and it can get overwhelming at times.  
      Today I have a daughter who turned 7 years old (YAY!! for LILY BELLE) but sometimes I do worry about her because she is still the size of a 4 or 5 year old.  My husband took our 11 year old to urgent care after church and she has an ear infection.  My 4 year old son is on amoxicillin right now for his ear infection and has developed a rash over the weekend.  My 8 year old has another one of her headaches, usually they make her throw up (she is like her mother, my headaches can make me throw up too) and now I am wondering if she needs to get her eyes checked, which her Dr. has done a basic test but I think she needs an actual eye exam, she seems to get headaches on church days when she has been trying to read the screen or something, or maybe I am wrong and it has nothing to do with her eyes.  My 2 year old has been cranky because she isn't feeling well, and has bitten both her bothers today. 
       Sick season is so hard for moms in general whether you have one child or 10, you HATE when your kid isn't feeling well.  I can't sleep well when one of my kids is sick, my body won't let me, like I need to be on alert and ready to run to them in the middle of the night at the first peep.  You worry when one gets sick, are all the others going to get it?  You worry if its going to turn into something worse.  It's times like this, in the midst of a season when "it's always something!" that you start to be more thankful for the times when you have a whole week, even a whole day, with no new issues, when a doctor doesn't need called, when I am not googling some symptoms or texting my sister-in-law (who happens to be a nurse at Childrens Hospital) asking her what to do about one of the kids.   
     There are times when I just sit down exhausted and think, whats next?  Or who's next?  BUT... here are a couple things that really help me during these times: First of all, being thankful.  Having these worries means I have children to worry about.  Talk about putting your perspective in place, right?!  I am so thankful for them, even when they do completely overwhelm me at times!  Being thankful for when its just little things like ear infections and rashes, when there are so so many bigger issues I could be facing with one of them.  The second thing that helps me, especially recently, is just remembering it is all in Gods hands, and somehow, no matter what I am going through, tiny or gigantic, it will work out.  My prayers have changed since losing the babies last year, slowly through dealing with that I learned to rely on Him more, when at first I pulled away, I am now closer.  I have learned that just praying for what you want to happen isn't how to pray.  Now when I start to feel the stress that comes along with the times dealing with sick/not feeling well/hurt children I pray for wisdom to know what to do for the kids, I pray for peace over my worry, I pray for comfort for my child, I pray for strength.  Anxiety over your children will eat away at you if you let it, knowing that they are in Gods hands and allowing that to bring peace over you can make all the difference in a mamas heart and sanity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment