Thursday, February 19, 2015

My 2nd Trimester loss

Sometimes the pain is so intense I feel like it just happened, other times it seems like it happened so long ago…it’s been a long 3 months of mourning, grief, and confusion, but also of searching for comfort, peace, and hope.
My reason and hope for sharing my stories about miscarriage is to help someone else who is going through it.  I don’t know how much “help” I can be other than I know that it helps me knowing that I am not alone and that what I am thinking and feeling is a normal part of this.  Everybody handles things differently, each situation is different, but still a lot of the emotions and deep down feelings are the same. 
The pregnancy started out with a bang, before I could even suspect I was pregnant I started having symptoms, they came early and strong;  and I was so thankful, I thought that the worse I felt meant the better the baby was doing, and for a while that seemed true.  I was nervous about the pregnancy since I had miscarried around 8 weeks several months prior, but the severe morning sickness helped calm and reassure my anxiety.  I had an ultrasound around 8 weeks that showed that the baby doing great, at 12 weeks I heard a good strong heartbeat on the doppler at my check-up. I was beginning to relax. My morning sickness started going away at the beginning of the 2nd trimester, which is what always happens in my pregnancies so I was feeling good. I had a nice little baby bump that I just loved. 
Then the day of my 16 week appointment I began having brown spotting,  I knew something was wrong.  I went in for the appointment and she couldn’t find the heartbeat on the doppler so I was immediately sent for an ultrasound on the spot.   The tech said “I’m so sorry, there is no heartbeat”  I was in disbelief.  How, no, Why was this happening? Why was I losing another baby?  I was in the second trimester, wasn't that when I didn't have to worry about that anymore? And then the doctor tells me that I needed to go to the hospital to deliver the baby, at that stage of pregnancy the baby is too big for a D&C.  I didn't even know what to say to her. 
We scheduled to go in at 8am the next day, it didn't feel real.  As we were walking into labor and delivery I remember thinking to myself I should be walking in here to deliver my other baby, it was only days away from the due date of my first miscarriage.  Walking in I still didn't understand exactly what was going to happen, all the doctor said was I needed to deliver. I was having contractions already but I didn’t realize how much like a real birth it was going to be, I wasn't prepared mentally, then again, how could anyone really prepare for something like that.  I didn’t know there would be talks about if I wanted an epidural, iv’s, painful contractions, or that I would feel my water break, I didn’t know I would get the chance to hold my baby and know the gender.  I had no idea just what an intense, powerful, life-changing, heart-wrenching experience it would be. 
But I found out quickly.  I delivered my tiny little boy that morning, 4 3/4 inches, 2.2 oz.  The nurse asked if I wanted to hold him, of course I did, I had to see, I needed to, I had to cling to any memory I could possibly get of my son because after that there would be no new memories.  And so, I held him, in true amazement, counting his little fingers and toes, how could anyone not believe that an unborn child is a life?? The delivery went well but my placenta wasn't coming out despite the strong contractions and blood loss.  I was shaking, I started slipping out of it, my blood pressure dropped dangerously low…my body was going into shock…so they rushed me into surgery, put me to sleep and did an emergency D&C.  My husband said it was scary, they pushed him out of the room as I was turning white and my lips blue, but he said they came to update him as soon as they could.  Once the placenta was out I was fine.  I was so overwhelmed by the loss of my baby that what happened to me after didn’t seem like a big deal, I didn't have the space in my brain to worry about myself. 
They asked us if we had picked a name, we chose to use the boy name that had been on our list of baby names for years, the name we would have used also….had he lived. Trey Joshua.  The nurses made a beaded name bracelet for him, for me.  They put together a whole memory box, took pictures, wrapped him in a crochet blanket thing with ties and laid him on a little blanket in the bassinet in the room.  He was cremated and there will be a memorial service for all the babies lost during this time in May (which happens to take place at his due date).  I will forever be grateful for how they handled it, for the sympathy, they were so sensitive to the emotions I was having, but mostly I am grateful for the respect they had for the life lost.
They days afterward were awful.  I was drained physically, eyes puffy from so many tears.  My heart was broken, quite literally it seemed, for weeks it felt like someone was pushing on my chest, that intensity slowly lifted and now 3 months later it only comes back every now and then, but it does come back.   I think I will talk more on the days afterward in another post, for today I just felt the need to get my story, Trey’s story, out there…maybe it will help someone who can relate or maybe you have a friend going through a loss and it will help you have a better understanding for what they are going through.   I could go on and on about the suffering you go through when you lose a baby but today on the anniversary of 3 months since delivering Trey I want to celebrate his life, his precious, special oh so short life he had inside me.  Having a second trimester miscarriage is the worst thing I have ever been through…but I am so thankful for those extra weeks I got to carry him.  



16 comments:

  1. Shannon, thank you for sharing your story about your sweet angels. I cannot even imagine what you have been through, and I am so sorry for your losses.I think you are brave and beautiful and perfect mama to those babies even for te brief time you had with them. thank you for sharing your story! is it is important and needs to be told, your babies are important and valuable and I'm so glad you have a space where you can tell all of us about them.my heart hurts for what you have been through and my prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so so much for your sweet words, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story a week ago we lost our sweet boy Azariah. 18 weeks no heartbeat. I had the same experience a little spotting so went went in to check on things. I thought we were safe in our second trimester. He looked so perfect on his ultrasound we have no idea what happened we are devastated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandi, I was just thinking of you and wanted to check up on you to see how you are holding up?

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Brandy, I am SO sorry. That first week afterward is so awful. My heart feels broken to think about someone else feeling like I was feeling right afterward. Praying for peace for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I delivered our son Shalom September 20, 2015... 4 days after my due date for my January miscarriage. I had the similar thought... I should be here delivering my baby from January. I was 16 weeks when my water broke and he was being born within 1/2 hr. It's been 8.5 weeks now and the road has been rough and my heart has been broken but God, God has never left us or forsook us....I have experienced grace in a way I have never experienced it before. Thanks for sharing your story. It helps knowing we are not the only ones out there going thru this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I delivered our son Shalom September 20, 2015... 4 days after my due date for my January miscarriage. I had the similar thought... I should be here delivering my baby from January. I was 16 weeks when my water broke and he was being born within 1/2 hr. It's been 8.5 weeks now and the road has been rough and my heart has been broken but God, God has never left us or forsook us....I have experienced grace in a way I have never experienced it before. Thanks for sharing your story. It helps knowing we are not the only ones out there going thru this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, I'm so sorry for you loss. It doesn't seem fair that these things happen but I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling God's presence, that can make such a difference. Praying for you as you continue down this heartbroken road, it does get easier

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your story. My husband and I just found out on Wednesday at 18 weeks we lost our baby girl. I go into deliver her tomorrow & we are so scared. Finding your blog has helped tremendously. I know God has bigger plans for our sweet girl & for my husband and I. Thank you again for your story. <3 -JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  8. JoAnne, my heart breaks for you and what you are feeling and going through right now. I am praying for you today....if you need to talk more don't hesitate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This story is literally almost identical to mine.. we lost our son at 15 weeks this September . Thank you for sharing, it is comforting to know I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Im so sorry to hear about your loss! It's so heartbreaking! Glad I could help in some small way.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story. I was 25 weeks when I found out my placenta didn't form properly and was not providing nutrients nor enough oxygen to my baby Jordan. I got admitted right away and 9 days later my little Jordan had passed away. I had to deliver my baby and it was heart breaking. After 4 years of trying to convince I thought God had finally answered my prayers. I found out I was pregnant during the worst time when I had many love ones battling with Covid. Loosing my grandpa and godfather to Covid and still trying to be strong and feeling bless for being pregnant. Now I continue to mourn my grandpa and my other love ones, but most specially my little Jordan. It has only been a month and two weeks and even though I have better days than before the heart ache is the same. There are days I ask myself why? I know that answer will never come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry! Yes, it is so hard to never get that answer of "why?" My breaks for you as I know how fresh your pain still is. Praying for you.

      Delete
  11. I had almost this exact same experience except I was just barely able to deliver my placenta but had lost so much blood after an hour. This week was 4 months ago and I'm still crippled by grief some days. My friends have all grown distant so I thought that maybe I should have been further along and closer to normal by now and that's why they've pulled away. I'm starting to see that maybe it's not actually me. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry you are going through this💜 praying for you right now, and know that there is nothing wrong with taking all the time you need to grieve. It does get easier with time, for sure, but you will always carry the loss with you.

      Delete